On Saturday I turned 35, and Jordan went out of his way to make the day really special. It started with breakfast in bed (of which, Jameson ate half), and it ended with having family and close friends over for dinner. And in between, we took a day trip to a place I’d been wanting to visit for awhile — Bushkill Falls. Bushkill Falls is an easy hour and 45 minute drive from Manhattan, and it’s fondly known as “The Niagara of Pennsylvania.” (I’ve been to Niagara Falls, and so I must tell you I concluded that when they say “Niagara of Pennsylvania,” they don’t mean it’s similar to the actual Niagara, but that it’s a big waterfall for PA.) :-)
While the falls aren’t on the wonders of the world list, the grounds are really beautiful, and there’s lots to explore. We had a great time taking in the scene, the sound of rushing water, and the changing leaves on the trees.
I couldn’t think of a more peaceful and inspiring way to spend the day as I started a new year of life. And it was made even better by getting to take it in with my two favorite people.
Here are lots of photos from the day…The first sight of the falls is from above…And then as you make your way down, the air gets noticeably cooler as you near the falls.You wind your way back up to the other side of the falls, and then walk along beautiful paths with smaller falls, large rock formations, and trees surrounding you.And Jameson loved the challenge of conquering the many steps along the way.As much as he wanted to walk, he also loved the moments when Daddy carried him. Lucky for us, Jameson is tall but light for his age, so we’re trying to ride that carrier bus until the wheels fall off!After nearly two hours of exploring, we headed back to NYC with happy hearts.
If you’re looking for a great day trip from NYC, I highly recommend checking out Bushkill Falls. Here are some things to keep in mind as you plan your trip:
- It’s approximately just under 2 hours drive by car.
- Stopping for lunch in nearby Stroudsburg will take you slightly out of your way, but you’ll find way more options than you will in the town of Bushkill.
- There are four trails at Bushkill Falls, with the shortest taking just 30 minutes to complete, and the longest taking 2.5 hours to complete. The most popular trail takes about 45 minutes.
- There’s lots of going up and down via stairs — it’s not too rigorous, but it’s something to be prepared for, particularly if you’re visiting with a small child or older person.
- There are several additional things to see/do outside of viewing the falls, like miniature golf, paddle boats, a playground, and a Native American museum.
- Be prepared to have little/no phone service while you’re in the falls area.
- If you’re interested in checking out the scenic views of the Delaware Water Gap, you can easily combine that with your trip to the falls.